Then there is the question of authenticity. This term sparks reams of debate in other academic areas, such as music studies (eg Keith Negus, Simon Frith), and it has an obvious relevance to journalism and the media. I need to investigate whether there is a general theory of authenticity which underlies everything, but in this context there are some primary questions which come to mind.
• What does authenticity mean in journalism?
• What constitutes authenticity for journalists/producers?
• Is this the same for audiences/receivers or are there other considerations?
• How is it assessed by either party?
• How is is connoted within media texts?